Uses strong knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Practices (GAAP) and Oracle/PeopleSoft skills to manage the monthly processing and recording of accounting information, the production of accounting reports, and the analysis and reconciliation of accounts for all the Authority's Funds and Accounts.
Supervises and coordinates the work of the General Accounting staff. 1. Prioritizes workloads, monitors and adjusts daily work schedules, and distributes projects to meet deadlines.
2. Develops internal and external training sessions to increase unit efficiency and to keep staff current on new system applications.
3. Interprets work procedures and provides direction to staff as needed.
4. Confers with direct reports to resolve procedural matters and implements solutions to comply with proper accounting processes.
5. Establishes staff goals, conducts performance evaluations and recommends and implements corrective actions as necessary.
Manages the daily operation of the General Accounting Unit. 1. Oversees accounting for interfund transfers.
2. Reviews reconciliation of the Authority's checking accounts.
3. Oversees cash application for the Operating and Capital funds.
4. Reviews amortization and accounting for prepaid insurance policies.
5. Perform quality control by analyzing accounting schedules, accounting work papers, journal entry schedules and month end reconciliations of both balance sheet and profit and loss accounts.
6. Monitor existing controls and recommends improvements to management if needed to strengthen policies or procedures.
7. Manages the Federal and State grant billings and associated cash collection based on requirements under the Uniform Guidance and the Passenger Facility Charge Audit Guide for Public Agencies.
8. Reviews the quarter and cumulative reports for Passenger Facility Charges (PFC) revenue received from collecting carriers, interest earned, PFC expenditures, and amount committed for use on currently approved projects to Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and to carriers collecting PFCs.
9. Coordinates the Grant equipment physical inventory in compliance with the Uniform Guidance, compliance supplement-"Equipment and Real Property Management".
Coordinates and manages the monthly and annual closing of activities for all the Authority's Funds. 1. Prepares, reviews, and approves standard and adjusting journal entries from the General Accounting unit, Payroll unit, Accounts Receivable unit and Accounts Payable unit.
2. Analyzes and researches actual to budget and year to year actual variances and reports on the findings to senior accounting staff.
3. Ensure quality control by analyzing the daily/monthly input and output to and from the financial reporting system.
4. Produces and distributes accounting reports and responds to inquiries.
5. Leads the Accounting staff meeting to review monthly results prior to finalizing the general ledger month end close.
Manages the annual audit process. 1. Works closely with both external auditor and internal staff on planning and execution of the Authority's annual audit.
2. Develops schedules and structure to ensure that all deadlines for work papers, audit schedules, and financial statement entries are performed by staff.
3. Performs quality control on audit information requested by external and internal auditors to validate accounting accuracy, that accounting entries comply with GAAP, and that proper supporting documents are prepared to satisfy request.
Serves as General Ledger Module leader. 1. Maintains and updates the financial accounting system.
2. Ensures that accounting staff is trained in all the necessary aspects of the financial accounting system.
3. Determines and maintains financial statement reporting structure for all funds and accounts.
4. Responsible for the monthly and annual close of the General Ledger.
Manages the accounting for the Self Insurance Pools. 1. Tracks expenses by Self Insurance pools.
2. Monitors, maintains, and updates Self Insurance summary schedules.
3. Produces reports as requested by Risk Management.
Administers the record keeping and financial reporting for the P&L, Balance Sheet and Budget for the Anderson Regional Transportation Center (ARTC) Joint Venture.
Participates in special projects as assigned.
SECONDARY JOB TASKS:
Supports Comptroller and the Deputy Comptroller in the development and implementation of system enhancements for the areas of responsibility.
EDUCATION LEVEL: A Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Business Administration with a concentration in accounting required.
EXPERIENCE IN RELATED FIELD: 5 - 7 years' accounting experience with emphasis on General Accounting and monthly General Ledger closing process. Familiarity with PeopleSoft or Oracle preferred. Must have demonstrated knowledge and skills in supervisory and accounting functions, as well as knowledge of generally accepted accounting practices. Experience in managing a staff of five to ten people.
UNIQUE EXPERIENCE/CERTIFICATION/REGISTRATION: 1. Demonstrated knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and generally accepted government accounting principles and reporting under Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB).
2. Experience with automated/on-line accounting systems.
3. Working knowledge with word processing, spreadsheets and database applications.
4. Good analytical and communication skills.
5. Ability to pass a Massport controlled substances test and security background checks.
WORK SCHEDULE: Ability to work a 37.5 hour work week. Ability to work additional hours as necessary as work load demands.
Massport connects New England to the world and promotes the regional economy through the operation of three airports: Boston Logan International Airport, Hanscom Field and Worcester Regional Airport; the Port of Boston’s cargo and cruise facilities; and property management/real estate development in Boston.
We have high standards to excel in all we do, which includes hiring the most talented pe...ople to maintain our facilities and achieve our goals. We strive for diversity in our workforce and to make Massport a leader among our peers in transportation safety and security, customer service, and environmental management.
At Massport, our business is all about connecting. We support and take pride in the employees that make those connections possible each and every day.