Friends of the Children - Portland is looking for an extraordinary professional to join our finance team. Are you flexible and ready to take on a wide range of accounting tasks? Is working for an organization that inspires you a critical aspect of your job search? We may have the perfect career for you.
The Senior Accountant supports the Accounting and Finance Manager in all aspects of financial reporting for Friends of the Children - Portland. The position is responsible for adhering to accounting principles and developing and maintaining practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. The position engages in a multitude of deadline-driven accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, year-end audit preparation, and budgeting and planning. The position supports grant budgeting, reporting, and compliance; bi-monthly payroll runs; treasury activities; and special planning and analysis projects. The position reviews some work of the Staff Accountant, who is responsible for A/R, A/P, and revenue accounting. The position will also serve as a critical back up resource to both the Accounting and Finance Manager and Staff Accountant.
The Finance Department serves Friends of the Children - Portland and Friends of the Children - Portland Foundation.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
• Prepare monthly journal entries, bank transactions, and account reconciliations
• Assist in preparation of monthly financial statements and other reporting for executives, the Board of Directors, committees, grants, and internal departments
• Support budgeting and planning activities
• Monitor and analyze department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy
• Prepare bi-monthly payroll, ensuring accurate and timely payment, reporting, and accounting of wages and taxes
• Prepare reports on grant expenditures for external and internal reporting
• Respond to inquiries from the Executive Director, Chief Finance and Operations Officer, and other managers regarding financial results and special reporting requests
• Work with the Accounting Manager to ensure a clean and timely year-end audit
• Support the CFOO and Accounting Manager on special projects, workflow process improvements, and process documentation
• Assist the Staff Accountant and review data entry to ensure accurate financial reporting
• Report on financial position and activity to select Board Committees
• Review treasury activity including positive pay and daily remote deposit
• Learn and regularly perform the most critical aspects of the Accounting Manager and Staff Accountant roles to provide essential coverage during absences
Required competencies, skills and abilities:
• Three to five years of financial accounting experience
• Strong GAAP/internal controls knowledge
• Experience in supporting multiple business entities simultaneously
• Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality
• Highly organized and efficient in completing various projects with overlapping deadlines
• Strong in Microsoft Office 365 Suite (primarily Excel, Teams, Outlook, and Word)
• Proficient with pivot tables and vlookup functions in Excel
• Comfortable working both independently and collaboratively as needed
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, preferably with an accounting or business concentration
Preferred competencies, skills and abilities:
• Non-profit accounting
• Grant accounting
• Raiser’s Edge and Financial Edge
• Payroll processing (using ADP or similar system)
Additional Salary Information: Benefits package includes employer paid benefits, a 401(k) match, and paid time off awarded at the time of hire.
About Friends of the Children Portland
Friends of the Children is a nonprofit that is impacting generational change by empowering youth through relationships with professional mentors. We do this by providing children facing the most obstacles with a long-term, professional mentor, who we call a “Friend,” from kindergarten through high school graduation, 12+ years – no matter what.